Monday, July 8, 2013

New Adventures! (In Blogging and Traveling)


As the final two weeks of my time in the US quickly coming to a close I figured it would be best to spend some of the time that I am laying in bed enjoying the comforts of a full size mattress with extremely comfortable sheets to learning how to work a blog. A task like this is slightly daunting since I have never really been one to journal, let alone write my daily occurrences for the world (or just my family and friends-but hey you never know) to read nor have I ever personalized/designed a web page (at least not since the MySpace days where you would spend hours trying to figure out between which two <>  to put a code to change a color of something).

Please anticipate that this will undoubtedly be a humorous blog however I will try my best to include as much about what I am doing and where I am living as possible. I personally wouldn't want to read a blog that detailed the timestamps of every activity I did each day so chances are I couldn't write one either. Have no fear, I will divulge any detail anyone may want to know from the time I wake up each morning to how many trips to the bathroom I take to what I see every day on my trek to work. Mostly though, this will be filled with my experiences because I am anticipating there will be many awkward, embarrassing, hilarious moments that can only come from a blonde-haired, blue-eyed white girl living in Africa as well as many eye-opening experiences, life lessons, and touching moments that I couldn't help but share with everyone I know. So lets begin:



For those who may not know this African Safari that I am referencing will actually be my service time with the Peace Corps in Namibia. For the next two and a half years I will be living somewhere in the country and teaching secondary English. English is their official language so I will not be teaching ABC's but rather more of the grammar stuff that I havent learned (or should have learned) since high school. On top of being a teacher for the next two years I will also take on a secondary project which will be something community based that I will determine once I start. This could be something like working on a library, organizing a women's group, starting a sports team, literally anything. So thats what I will be doing in a nut shell. Prior to that though I will be in intense training for the next three months where I will learn one of the languages of Namibia, learn about health, safety and security, and live with a host family. Training will be in a city called Okahandja which from the looks of GoogleMaps is a small city with a train station, some small markets, a cafe, a bank, and a football field (which remember is actually soccer). Everything a girl could ask for right? After that I move to my permanent location which is completely unknown to me. I could find myself in any situation imaginable from a house to myself with running water, electricity, and a view of the ocean to a thatched hut on a family homestead where my host momma will cook me food over an open fire everyday. I'm putting money on the latter that I end up in the middle of the desert because that will provide not only the most humorous experience but also the most memorable and noteworthy, not only to me but to those who may read this as well. So we are going to see how posting this first post goes and let the rest of the adventure begin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment