Tuesday, March 3, 2015

In My Time of Absence Pt 2 - December and Mike Riley's Visit!

December

With school closing early, Schlip cleared out pretty much within the first week of December. My closest friends in town were both going back to America for the holidays so I was pretty much the only American for some 200km. It wasn’t bad though, I danced way too many times to Taylor Swifts new album, was able to actually keep my flat clean, and consistently have washed clothes (this was probably more due to the fact that I wore the same thing almost three days in a row cause I never saw anyone). I was also able to hang out at my library and work/read/sleep/ play games by myself there. It’s air conditioned, nuff said there.

I share my birthday with another volunteer here and so we decided to do something together to celebrate as we were some of the only Volunteers in Namibia at the time that didn’t have large travel plans or family visiting (Mike Riley came in January just scroll down for more about that). We decided to treat ourselves to a trip to the beach, which not only included the beach, but also some of the best food Namibia has to offer, fresh seafood, 4G internet connections, cable TV at our hostel, ice cream, and yeah, actually what more do you need to make yourself happy on your birthday? Our intention of only staying 3 days eventually turned into some like 5 or 6 days as we kept waking up and deciding, nah…I’m gonna stay one more day. The weather was just absolutely gorgeous. One morning I woke up to go get coffee in town (Oh yeah, Swakopmund also has REAL coffee, and cheesecake if it’s your lucky day at Slow Town). I put on a cute dress and my cool sunglasses, was sharing the beach front boardwalk with dog walkers, runners, and bike riders, and the sea breeze felt so good I literally stuck my arms out like my life was a movie and the happy ending credits were just about to roll. This may have also been influenced by some of the wine I had at dinner the evening before…

The glorious beach walking days were over as I headed back to Schlip to spend Christmas with my host family, on probably one of the hottest days of my entire life. To start, I got a sunburn walking between my house and my host family’s house that’s like down the street, (I wanted to get my bathing suit because their cousins brought a kiddie pool they had gotten for Christmas). So yeah sunburned skin on Christmas Day, over 100 degree heat, and not a trace of breeze in any direction. It was so hot I was scared to walk home with my sunburn in fear of making it worse. So I was pretty much stuck. Sunburned and bloated from the gluttony I bestowed upon myself the week before on the beach. That third ice cream in one day tasted so good and was so cheap at the time, was not worth it on Christmas. Thankfully I brought a stick of my favorite Christmas movies to share. Unfortunately Buddy the Elf couldn’t make me stop sweating. Eventually I hit a breaking point, and thanked my family profusely for hosting me for Christmas but all I wanted was to go home and lay on my tiled floor naked with my fan on me for the rest of the night. I even slept with frozen sachets of liquor I picked up in Malawi for the purpose of an ice pack (my kids like to punch walls in their free time). Had anyone walked in the morning after, I do not want to know where their thoughts would have gone…

January

Anxiously awaiting Mike Riley’s arrival on January 2 I decided to spend New Years Eve in the capital with a few friends. We found some silly string at the mall, had KFC for dinner and purchased a bottle of Champage for midnight. No I did not spell that wrong, either our hostel did, or it was a clever marketing scheme to spark interest. Whatever it was worked, I managed to get the last bottle and I did pronounce it as it was spelled on the board. Hello can I have a bottle of Champage? Yes the big one. We shared a coffee cup with the security guard at midnight.

New Years Day Peace Corps Namibia experienced a tragedy which was an unfortunate reminder that life is beautiful, however it is short. It just made seeing Mike Riley all the more great J

Our first stop was this super cool place called Africat. It is a rehabilitation and education center for wild cats that come into contact with farmers and their livestock. We had a beautiful room overlooking grazing oryx, giraffe, and warthog, took a night drive where we found a cheetah, jackals, giraffes, and oryx by spotlight, and the next morning tracked leopards (of which we found 2 and 3 wild dogs!).

Key moments from Africat:
·      While walking to the reception from our room (we are in the middle of a conservation area where wildlife roams free) a giant male kudu almost runs us over out of nowhere and gives Mike Riley a minor heart attack. We also came upon a warthog and some young and he wondered if we should turn around and go another way. Pumba is not a killer, Dad.
·      In talking to the man at reception I mention my father and I are what what. Reception man goes Oh that’s your father? Uhh yeah… later in the day Dad goes up to ask a question and the reception man asks if Mike Riley prefers an elephant or a lion, essentially for me…upon further questioning the man hesitates a bit and Mike Riley was not impressed. Sorry dude.
·      Mike Riley kept alluding to the various electric fences we were going through to Jurassic Park. I did not find that amusing, as we were in an open aired vehicle off-roading looking for wild cats.
·      In his first 24 hours in Namibia, we see giraffe, zebra, oryx, kudu, springbok, cheetah, leopard, wild dog, and jackal. Not bad for a days work.
·      My uncivilized, village-girl self licked the plate at dinner by candlelight. Mike Riley was so unimpressed and did not let me forget it the rest of the week. I’m sorry, who would let monkey gland sauce go to waste? Not me.

Following Africat we traveled to the real world animal kingdom of Etosha. We stayed at the same place my mom and I stayed. After the luxury of Africat, our air conditioned tent, flushing toilet, and hot water shower was termed “roughing it.” In comparison to the only two places seen in Namibia, fair enough. However Mike and I frequented the bar much more.

Key moments in Etosha:
·      Our trusty guide Ishmael took us on three spectacular game drives where he made my dreams come true and we found elephants. Shannon cried the whole time.
·      Mike Riley conquered the rest of the animal kingdom seeing lions, elephants, and a rhino. African safari: Check.
·      I commented on how much I loved the Nivea hydrating spray sunscreen. Dad agrees but goes “yeah but I wish it smelled like coconut…”
·      In viewing the various water holes and finding lions and elephants, we learn the hierarchy of the animal kingdom and that all antelope were at the bottom. At every water hole we went to, the zebra were just sitting there waiting and watching. Mike Riley’s commentary, “Man, if I were a zebra, I’d be pissed.”
·      A mating lion couple will mate every 15 minutes for like 3 days or so, they call it the “honeymoon” As we gazed and waited for this couple to get it on Mike Riley nodded off, I tried singing “Can You Feel The Love Tonight” cause it obviously worked for Simba and Nala. I think my singing worked.
·      In making friendly discussion with the new bartender, Mike Riley gives him tips on new drinks.
·      Dad tries every game meat possible, however they are all extremely lean and on the final night he goes for a lamb chop with a nice, nice bone full of marrow attached. The lady at the grill smiles and laughs when I refer to my meat as a nice, nice piece of braii meat (what the locals call it). I eat with my fingers, dad eats with a fork and knife. At the end of the meal I see the marrow is still sitting in the bone as he cuts the last piece of flesh away. I tell him if he doesn’t pick it up like a man and suck the marrow out of the bone, I’m going to pick it up off his plate and do it for him. (He knew I would too after my licking the plate with my finger at Africat a few dinners before.) He delicately gets it out and consumes it with a fork and knife. I was not impressed, but he showed me.

After viewing all there was to see at Etosha we made our way to the coast at Swakopmund. On the way we made a small detour to a small farm where they had fossilized dinosaur footprints! We had to do a bit of hiking to get there and back to the car, as well as follow some interesting, often times misleading signs, but for 2 USD each, we couldn’t pass it up!

Once in Swakopmund we arrived at our super nice beach hotel, overlooking the ocean and Shannon’s favorite bar. We indulged in seafood, fresh oysters, beer, and adrenaline. It. Was. Awesome. Our first day we went quadbiking over the sand dunes, having a personal tour guide as the high-holiday season was over. We pretty much had full range of all the sand dunes and two hours to spare. That evening we shopped and went to a nice dinner at a fancy seafood restaurant. Our second day was all sand and sea as we did a dolphin and seal cruise in the morning. The seals and pelicans joined us on the boat as we sipped on sherry, followed dolphins, learned about oyster harvesting, and then ate fresh oysters. That afternoon we did a 4X4 land rover cruise over the dunes to some of the most remote parts of the Namib Desert. Our driver was a professional stunt driver and we shared our time with three Russian ladies. Lunch there included more Russians in speedos, more oysters, and plenty of beer to quench the thirst. Our third and final morning we visited the craft market, picked up some wood carvings and heading through the desert and mountains to our small lodge in the middle of nowhere Namib desert.

Key moments from time in Swakopmund:
·      Dad this is the best ice cream place, we should get some! Shannon you just ate breakfast. Yeah well no one was telling me that two weeks ago when I was here alone!
·      Our tour guide on the quad bikes, since it was just two of us, took us to a look out point up a dune that other tours don’t go to. He said he had never taken a tour over there, and then started asking me questions very casually such as “So you left your boyfriend in America, ne?” Smooth dude. I wanted to give him a nicer tip for taking us to different places than the normal tour. Dad says he probably tells that to all tour groups with young girls. Whatever Dad it made me feel special and he wasn’t sleezy about it. Afterall, you WERE there too!
·      On our seal and dolphin cruise there was an American tourist all-alone. He knocked back 8 glasses of sherry after asking what it was and then slurping down close to twelve oysters himself. Save some for the rest of us dude…He was also rocking a fanny pack.
·      One of the Russian ladies in our 4X4 was MSU President Lou Anna K Simon’s twin, but Russian, traveling in Namibia, going on a 4X4 tour through the sand dunes, and wearing a sideways baseball hat. The hat was multicolored striped that you would find a pinwheel on top of. This hat was sans pinwheel but she was pretty bad ass.
·      There were two Land Rovers on the 4X4 tour with us and communicated through a radio. At different adrenaline rushing events they would turn on their radio so the screams of the people in front of or behind you were heard. At the very end, the second vehicle (also full of Russian tourists) was not taken down a steep sand dune going forwards, but instead backwards. Our vehicle went nose to nose with the other down the dune and the faces of those tourists were something I wish I had a picture or video of for the rest of my life.
·      While at a fancy candle-lit dinner at a waterfront restaurant, we decide to watch the sunset on the deck with some Windhoek beers. I walk inside to reserve a table for us for dinner and come back to say its ready whenever we want (Dad and I each had about half a beer left in our fancy glasses). We are in no rush but he knocks back the whole glass in a few chugs as I just stare, wondering why, in such a classy place he is doing this? He looks at me and goes, “I don’t know why I just did that. You can take your time.” He’s a classy date.
·      A few times around town we decided to drive and where ever there is public parking there are “car guards” which will look over your car, help you park and make sure no one tries to break in. Especially with a fancy rental car, this is a good service to have and you tip them as you leave. We pulled into an empty parking lot and the girl comes up to me and says “would you like me to watch your car.” I said yes but then thought to myself: If I would have said no, and someone DID try to steal or break into my car, would you just stand there and watch? This question still puzzles me.

We left the beach and traveled into the desert. Our route was a single lonely road with no civilization for nearly 250 kilometers and that town at the end was essentially a gas station. We barreled across the flat land desert and wound our way though mountain passes listening to the Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Hits. We followed one car until it turned down another road towards Windhoek as we continued further south. About 5km from our lodge we pulled over to look at a map, thinking we might actually be lost on this one lonely road, you think this is impossible, its just one road right? Here though there are no signs for really anything. The roads are all labeled well but if you’re trying to find a specific lodge like we were, you wont find it till you’re next to the gate. Well we found it and was lovely, we promptly signed up for a sundowner drive, where they took us to the top of the petrified sand dunes (yes they are petrified sand dunes) over looking the lodge and everything beautiful about Namibia, and served us gin and tonics. The next morning on our way to back to Windhoek, we made a detour through Schlip J

Key moments from Soussesvlei (Namib Desert)
·      We arrive and realize our lodge is actually pretty far form the iconic Soussesvlei red sand dunes. We also realize that the activity offered there is to climb the largest sand dune in Namibia after walking 3km through sand and around other dunes to get to it. Ummmm, probably not for us… We chose to stay at the lodge and take the driving tour that came with complimentary drinks.
·      The lodge owned by a German based company so Dad and I shared the pool that afternoon with some lovely German men on vacation together all sporting the latest and tightest swimming attire Europe had to offer.
·      Not much other that I remember, it was pretty chill
·      For those wondering, the iconic red sand dunes of Soussesvlei have iron in them (hence the red color). The petrified dunes at this lodge were once those same red sand dunes however, once exposed to rain and moisture, began to solidify like a rock. So what we thought was just another mountain cliff was actually a million year old petrified sand dune. It was actually super cool.

Soussesvlei (or lack there of) was technically our last stop, Mike Riley was leaving the next day so we needed to make our way to Windhoek. Conveniently, there were a few back roads that would take us to Schlip where Dad could see where I live, I could drop all my stuff off, and he could meet the people in my community who take care of me. Driving to Schlip was an adventure itself, as the roads we took traveled through privately owned farms. About 15 times I had to jump out of the car an open cattle gates for us to cross through. We traveled among the cattle, through washed out riverbeds, and up some really rocky inclines (our trusty pickup was a trooper) but we finally made it to Schlip and to my lovely little flat. Once again I was “roughing it” although I have running water and electricity, I can only imagine what he would have thought if I’d taken him to a traditional homestead with a hut. He saw my school, toured my library, and met my host families and we were on our way to the Hilton for one last night of luxury for Shannon.

Key moments from Schlip and Windhoek
·      Dad and I walked from my school down a small street, passing three plots of land and he was already sweating, welcome to the “real” desert dad.
·      He made sure to tell me to leave most of my stuff here when I come home, in particular my linens, they are not the bright white and pink they once were in college.
·      He told me that he now understands how I’ve read over 50 books in the past year or so.
·      The Hilton in Windhoek sports a wonderful rooftop pool, lounge area, and SkyBar. It’s a beautiful sunset over the mountains and the best cocktails Namibia has to offer (mostly because they don’t do cocktails here). We get up there, order our drinks, and it starts to thunder storm. Like the one time we actually want to be outside this whole trip and it rains. We enjoyed our drinks from the second floor sports bar balcony.
·      I ordered an African Ginger Collins which was a Ginger Collins but with African spices. I ask what those are and the bartenders go “Umm, I don’t know, I think sugar and water.” So. African.

·      The Hilton was so nice and such a contrast from Schlip he wants me to go there once a month cause I’m gonna need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment