Friday, November 15, 2013

My First Trip to the Outside World….Not Really Though and More Transportation Adventures!


If you do not remember, Rehoboth is my shopping town and my nearest fellow volunteer. YES CIVILIZATION! But not really because this is still Africa. After Thursday needless to say I was ready for seeing another American. The unfortunate thing is my village is horrible to get in and out of. I didn’t think it was too bad coming in the first time because I had the comfy front seat right next to my supervisor the whole way. This time I wasn’t so fortunate, figures as much so his wife trumps me so I had my first experience in the back of a truck (don’t worry! It was covered!). I think the more dangerous part though was the enormous lunch my host mother fed me before I jumped in the car. WORST.IDEA.EVER. I now know what people mean when they say like roller coasters make them sick. For those of you who have been to the glorious place of Cedar Point, I may be slightly off but this was like riding the Mean Streak without the breeze, without a seatbelt, and no hills, going sideways. Like I thought the fat was going to shake or bounce off me (No luck with that though.) Unfortunately the China Shop mattresses and decorative pillows found at Grandma’s house in the 80’s did not give the intended refuge to my butt, hips, lower back or head.
The fellow riders in the back with me were the institutional (janitorial) workers from my school. They are so very nice however our conversation has never gone further than Hi Goodmorning and Do you have _______ key? This is because they primarily speak KKG, the click language. Even if there was a chance of me figuring out what they were talking about to join the conversation (I do know some phrases in KKG from training) I still can’t make all the different click sounds so I didn’t want to try to say something like I like your shirt and instead say Look at that butt or something more embarrassingly vulgar. Throughout training many language groups learned that saying something with an “a” sound instead of an “e” sound was the difference between words like door and prostitute. So needless to say I kept my mouth shut and just stared out the window. To top it all off I was in a skirt (A WHITE ONE OF ALL COLORS) so I had to strategically sit so I wouldn’t flash the others my underwear but also let my legs not touch long enough to produce a gross pool of sweat. Note to self not to wear a skirt when transporting. So hopefully I get used to that or just make friends with drivers that don’t have wives or daughters that would trump me for the front seat.
The ride back was just as eventful but in the back with me was now my supervisor, his daughter, all my groceries, and his son’s luggage (who was driving). Thankfully though I did not eat and I made sure to pee before I left. So that was a positive however while I tried to strategically brace myself for the various bumps (I made sure to wear shorts this time) my supervisor tried to make himself as comfortable as possible which resulted in him falling across my  legs as his son slammed on the brakes to let a herd of goats cross the street. I wish it would have been something cool like giraffes or zebras, then I wouldn’t have felt so awkward as he pushed himself back up, I would have been more preoccupied crying because I live in Africa were zoo animals cross the road. Oh well, maybe one day.
Rehoboth was nice. It was great to see Lau, compare notes, share stories, and talk about our fellow groups members. It was nice to get out of village life for a hot second. Rehoboth is one of the larger towns in Namibia so when you walk around you don’t feel the need to stop and talk to everyone. Although I did run into my host mom’s mom and dad who live in another town and a co-worker said he saw me tried to say Hi but wasn’t heard. You can leave the village but Namibia is still a small place….
Rehoboth is actually a really weird place. Like its nice because its where I get money out of the ATM, pick up mail, buy food, real life things but it has this weird vibe. I described it as a janky-beach town without the beach. Lau said this was dead on. To start, Rehoboth is the Baster capital of Namibia so there are a lot of white people here but most of them aren’t white white they’re permanently tan and beautiful white. Like what most girls strive to be in America. So yeah, everyone is tan and the boys in particular wear bright colored board shorts, obnoxious neon colored hats and shirts/tanks that say things like “Too many girls, so little time.”  The town is like all sand, lots of pam trees, and bright colored houses. Just no beach….. But it works because there is a grocery store where I can buy things that grow out of the ground and are green.  More adventures in Rehoboth to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment